St Johns Church
Low Worsall, (or East Worsall) is a small rural village on the northernmost edge of the old North Riding of Yorkshire. It is tucked in a bend of the river Tees. It marks the furthest point at which the river Tees was tidal (before the barrage was built). At one time it was the major port on the river. The parish encompasses the hamlet of High Worsall, the village of Low Worsall and twelve outlying farms. Over the past two hundred years, its population has remained fairly constant and in the range 210 to 250.
Worsall vicarage, about a quarter of a mile to the east of the church, was built in 1895/1896 and presented to the church by Miss Temple. It seems that only one vicar resided in the vicarage at Low Worsall and it was rented out until sold in 1958.
The now ruined church of St John at High Worsall was probably built on the site of an earlier church reported to have been in existence as early as 1204.
The church of St John was built in 1719, as a parish church, of coursed stone and brick with, at least in later years, a tiled roof.
Because of its deteriorating condition, from February 1891 services were increasingly held in the School Room at Low Worsall and in 1892 the decision was taken to pull down the chancel of St. Johns Church and restore the nave to make it suitable as a chapel of rest.
In the graveyard, the earliest memorial is dated 1729 and the latest 1957, although the last internment was in 1939. A chair, the font and the bell, cast by John Lee of Newcastle, from St Johns Church are preserved in All Saints’ Church at Low Worsall.
A serpent, an ancient musical instrument formerly used in St John’s Church, is on display in the Castle Museum, York.